A Resolution Supporting a National Legislation to
Secure Students’ Rights and Welfare (15th Congress)
Whereas, student organizations and student governments are ideally the legitimate representatives of the student body by virtue of their electoral mandates such that their foremost concern is to ensure that their constituencies get to enjoy and practice their constitutionally guaranteed human rights.
Whereas, the Coalition of Students’ Rights and Welfare, a network of student councils/governments, student political parties and youth-student organizations, supports and promotes students’ rights and welfare.
Whereas, despite the guarantees of the 1987 Bill of Rights, students are still placed at a disadvantageous position when it comes to claiming their stakes in the whole democratic process within academic institutions.
Whereas, students are perpetually susceptible and vulnerable to unfair power and political plays of the bureaucracy within the academic institution, bereft of due process and representation.
Whereas, to completely promote and protect our students, all academic institutions and the State itself should ensure the students’ safety and well-being.
Whereas, to be able to do this, a black and white law should be implemented, specifically to guard students’ rights and welfare.
Whereas, Senate Bills 108, 911, and 1144 filed by Senators Honasan, Villar and Estrada seek to secure the democratic rights of our students.
Whereas, the Coalition for Students’ Rights and Welfare believes that the bills are concrete mechanisms to stop social injustices against students and assure them of a healthy and academically nurturing community.
Therefore, be it resolved, today, August 2, 2011, in the Coalition for Students’ Rights and Welfare NCR Assembly that the Coalition for Students’ Rights and Welfare would support and campaign for the passage of a national legislation that would secure the democratic, civil, and political liberties of the Filipino student.
For the Coalition,
Gio Tingson, Lead Convenor
Gibby Gorres, Lead Convenor
- College of Social Sciences and Philosophy Student Council – University of the Philippines Diliman
- BUKLOD CSSP – University of the Philippines Diliman
- University of the East Student Council
- Kapisanan ng Diwa at Panitik – Eulogio Amang Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology (KADIPI)
- Alliance of Progressive Students – Eulogio Amang Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology (APS)
- Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de Manila
- Akbayan Youth
- Christian Union for Socialist and Democratic Advancement – Ateneo de Manila University (CRUSADA)
- Bigkis ng mga Iskolar Para sa Bayan Tungo sa Makabuluhang Pagbabago – University of the Philippines Manila (BIGKIS-UPM)
- Alyansa ng mga Mag-aaral para sa Panlipunang Katwiran at Kaunlaran – University of the Philippines Diliman (UP ALYANSA)
- Political Science Society – Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Muntinlupa
- College of Arts and Sciences Student Society – Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Muntinlupa
- Black and White Youth Movement
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran Student Council
- De La Salle University Student Government
- Student Council Alliance of the Philippines
- Alyansang Tapat sa Lasallista – De La Salle University (TAPAT)
- One Initiative Movement – Ateneo de Manila University